Everyone is talking about how great iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch applications are, however not that many people have actually taken time and effort to sit down and compile a full list of why brands and companies should have an app in the first place.
1. PR Tool – iPhone apps in particular are a brilliant opportunity to contact the media and let them know about your company and brand. It doesn’t matter, whether you are a start up or a well established brand – media loves to talk about iPhone apps and this is you chance to capitalize on that trend.
2. Reach a specialised market – let’s face it, iPhone users are: IT-literate professionals, early adopters, internet-savvy – this target market at the time of writing is well defined. If your brand’s target audience is similar – what are you waiting for?
3. Improve branding and advertising – create something spectacular, special, and unique – create a stunning app. It’s a great opportunity to advertise your brand to a big wide world at a relatively low cost.
4. Be at the forefront of innovation – being at the forefront of innovation can be incredibly lucrative. Ask any big brand which created a website before its competitors did. Don’t be the one who wonders “is this just a fad”? Make things happen and be on the cutting edge of technology! The sooner you embrace the changes, the more opportunities you will have.
5. Revenues – app applications can actually make you money. Depending on what your business is – you can cross-sell, up-sell and simply sell your products via the App Store. Some companies make decent money, a handful of brands managed to make a lot of money, however the vast majority of brands are still using iPhone apps as brand extensions.
6. Expectation – believe it or not, but a lot of IT-literate, smartphone-savvy, young professionals expect well-known brands to have an app now, so if you are a leader in your industry – you should start thinking of creating an app.
7. Competing with the big guns – it can be difficult to compete with the big guns on the product and service front, but on the App Store – all apps are equal.
8. Your Competition – it is highly likely that your competitors have an app for their products or services. If they don’t have an app – lucky you! Get one up on them, and be one step ahead of your competition.
9. Get more customers, followers, fans – in normal circumstances they may never hear about your brand or use your services. With an iPhone app – you will get maximum exposure and stand a greater chance of appealing to the iPhone / iPad users experience.
10. Additional form of contact, interaction and latest technology – the more opportunities you have to interact with your clients and show-off your brand, the better. An iPhone app, if nothing else, can be one of those things which help you to provide an additional point of contact to the outside world.